Jul 29, 2009
Sardine curry with red rice
Sardines as far as i know is one of the easily disliked variety of fish around. My!! what a way to start a post. They are messy to eat, they stink and totally unappetising . Why would anyone like to eat Sardines!
Wait till you read this. This humble fish is truly incredible. It has extraordinary health benefits to offer that i have completely changed my opinion about them.
Sardines have very high concentration of omega3 fatty acids. They are considered to be one of the best sources of omega 3's around surpassed only by few other fishes.Now we all know that Omega 3 fatty acids are poly-unsaturated fatty acids and a diet rich in omega 3 helps reduce bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol.
Because of their size they have less accumulated toxins compared to larger fishes , such as tuna which immediately becomes safer to eat.
And of course they are great source for Vitamin D and Calcium.
They are also inexpensive and readily available that We don't have to opt for tinned ones .
I have found an interesting way of eating sardines. I learnt to make a thin gravy from a Mallu friend and i eat with Red rice and papadam. It is grrrreat!!!!
Sardines - 500gms
Coriander powder - 2tbsp
Red chillies - 10
Turmeric powder - 1tsp
ginger - 1 " piece
3 fat cloves of garlic
150 gms of coconut
For Tempering :
Coconut oil - 2tbsp
few curry leaves
sliced shallots - 9
1" ginger julienned
green chillies - 3 sliced
Kokum - 3 to 4
250 ml hot water.
1. Clean the sardines and set aside.
2. Grind the ings for the paste either in a pestle or in a food processor.
3. Soak the Kokum in a small bowl of hot water.
4. Heat the coconut oil over moderate heat and toss in the mustard seeds followed by curry leaves, shallots ginger and chillies. When the onions are golden , tip in the kokum. This is a sour fruit mainly used in the coastal part of south India. This will add a tang to the curry.
5. Bring it to simmer and and stir in the ground spice pate. Add 250 ml of hot water and simmer for 10 mins, until the sauce thickens mildly.
6. Add the cleaned fish to the pan, and continue cooking further for 10 - 15 mns until the sauce has reduced and sardines are tender.
Serve with hot red rice.