A friend of mine recently sent me this delicious onion pickle which i am unable to lay my hands off... It is so finger lickingly tasty ...just cant seem to get enough of it.. It is made with green chillies and madras pearl onions and all the flavoursome condiments. It has got this amazing sweet and sour , actually tangy- i should say, taste to it and is heavenly with curd rice. So i tried my version of it and absolutely happy the way it turned out.. so here we go..
1.Green chillies - 40 , the not so spicy variety + 10 chillies sliced
2. Madras onions - 2 cups
3.Tamarind paste - 2tbsp diluted in 2 cups of water
4.Jaggery - according to taste
5.Oil - 10 tbsp
6.fenugreek - 1 1/2 tsp
7.Asafoetida - a pinch 8.Mustard seeds - 2tsp
1. Wash the green chillies and wipe them dry. If the chillies are long then cut them into two. Otherwise You can use the whole chillies.
2. Heat oil and add the mustard seeds and fenugreek. When it splutters and turns light brown add the green chillies. And saute. The skin of the chilli at this point will turn white.
3. Now add the onion and continue to saute till the onion becomes soft .
4. Mix the jaggery with the tamarind juice and add salt.
5. Now add the juice to the onion and chilli and let it simmer for sometime.
6. Continue to cook till the juice thickens and becomes saucy.
7. Bottle it and keep in the fridge.
You can store for a week .