Aug 6, 2010

Oyster Mushroom Curry....

Oyster Mushroom has been a regular at my mom's place during my growing years. Most of the population at home - ( btw 12 of us from two families - how else can i refer!!) converted to vegetarians at one stage. So this was the only thing that resembled and tasted like meat for the converts. I was always loyal to my chicken and fish. So this mushroom would take many forms and tastes and would be prepared only on Sundays as special treats for them. What a pity!!. All said and done it sure tasted good.




Its been a while since i made this at home. Honestly it had gone out of my memory until i saw the call for 'Cooking with seeds - Fennel' event hosted by Priya's easy and tasty recipes. I use fennel in almost everything i make , so i was wondering about something different and interesting. So here it is...


Oyster Mushroom Curry :


Oyster mushrooms 250 gms



Onion - 2 small ones

Tomato - 1

Garlic - 5 finely chopped

Fennel Seeds - 1 Tbsp

Curry Leaves - few

Coriander powder - 1 tsp

Chilli powder - 1 1/2 tsp

Coconut milk - 1/4 cup

Oil as required

salt to taste





Method :

1. Heat the oil and add the fennel seeds Curry leaves and wait for few seconds.


2. Now add the onions and curry leaves and fry till the onions begins to brown slightly.


3. Add the coriander powder, Chilli powder , salt and a dash of turmeric powder cook for about two Min's.


4. Now add the chopped tomato and continue to cook for few Mins


5. Add the coconut milk and reduce heat. Cook for five to seven mins till the oil begins to float on top of the curry.


6. Now add the mushroom and cook it covered till done.


7. Garnish with coriander leaves






Tastes good with rice and can be served with rotis as well.


Enjoy!.














































12 comments:

aipi said...

My hubby loves oyster mushroom..i make it slightly different.. liked the addition of fennel n coconut milk ..will try your version sometime.

Veggie Belly said...

I love oyster mushrooms, we used to get the spores and grow them!

sangeeta said...

You have a lovely blog and my wishes for your little school ......

the mushroom curry looks great and the fainted priest eggplant bake is wonderful...

Unknown said...

THe dish looks awesome...loved the recipe and the colour is too tempting....

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow...that's sounds an incredible recipe....first time here...i can see some interesting and new recipes....will visit again to have a detailed study of them....

Sarah Naveen said...

I love this...nice clicks..looks so perfect and yummy!!

Shabs.. said...

Thats a lovely looking platter....But i am not a fan of mushrooms though...mysef being a great lover of non veg is now getting aversion to most non veg dishes:(....feel like i too will turn to be a veggie one day!

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said...

I love curry!! I for sure can finish this myself. You're the second I think to make curry out of curry leaves. I need to find them to give it a try.

Namitha said...

Awesome recipe...looks wonderful !

Sweet Artichoke said...

I absolutely love all kind of mushrooms and this curry looks delicious!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love mushrooms and that vegetarian curry looks so mouthwatering! What gorgous flavors!

Cheers,

Rosa

sangeeta said...

This is gorgeous looking mushroom curry Nandini !!

Oyster mushrooms are not seen frequently here.

Also,loved your pink granita very much .