I came across this interesting recipe from a cookbook which i have been having for many years now. Never got to try it because we don't get blueberries in India. But now thanks to the increasing expat population, we get ingredients which are scarce and exotic quite easily .So when i was walking down this store i found canned blueberry pie filling to my delight. I grabbed it immediately and was sitting on it for a while now contemplating between making a pie or this cake.
Then i finally decided on the cake because blueberry in a pie is common but in a cake was something new...
It is a layered cake and has a crispy cinnamon topping on it. it also has an interesting mixture of texture to it. Crunchy on top and bit gooey in the middle . The crusty cinnamon topping gives it a 'fruit cobbler' feel. It tastes best with a nice cup of latte..
Creamy blueberry coffee cake :
1cup + 2 tsp softened butter
1- 3/4th cup granulated sugar divided
3-1/4th cup all purpose flour divided
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 can blueberry pie filling
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350/180 degree
2. Coat a rectangular baking dish
3. In a large bowl cream together 1 cup butter and 1 - 1/2 cups sugar
4. Add eggs one at a time
5. Sieve the flour and baking powder
6. Gently fold the flour into the egg mixture. Unlike regular cake mixture this looks little dry and thick. I added 2 tbsp of milk though the recipe doesn't call for it.
7. Now divide the mixture into two equal halves
8. Spread half the batter in the baking dish. Then using a wet knife spread the pie filling evenly over the batter. Then dollop the remaining batter over the pie filling and spread with wet knife
almost covering the pie filling.
9. In a small bowl mix together with a fork the remaining flour, sugar and butter . Then stir in cinnamon till crumbly.
10. Sprinkle over batter and bake for 1 hr.